dsmltools.org is the home of the DSML Tools suite, a set of Java utilities for handling
Directory Services Markup Language
(DSML) version 1 data. DSML is directory (LDAP)
data as XML.
The DSML Tools provide the following capabilities:
In other words, if you want to manipulate directory data as XML, this
software is for you. It makes all LDAP-supporting directories DSML-enabled.
In addition to that, it provides the useful function of checking the integrity of generated DSML data, and
showing at a glance how two data sets represented as DSML differ.
- Querying of any LDAP directory, with search results output as DSML
- Import of DSML data into any LDAP directory
- Directory-context validation of DSML (checking for illegal attributes in the entries, etc.)
- Calculating the differences (for a directory) of two DSML documents
Development of the initial release was kindly supported by
Data Connection, who have also
tested the tools against their own commercial
directory software solutions.
The current version is version 1.2.1, and has been tested on Windows NT 4.0 and Linux.
However, there's no reason it shouldn't work on other OSes, and I have reports of it doing so.
The DSML Tools are
Free software, and can be downloaded at no charge. I support it via
email and fix bugs without expecting anything in return. However, if you
find the DSML Tools useful and want to say a small thankyou, I do have an
- About - what this software does, and why it's useful.
- Source - get a source release.
- Binaries - precompiled binaries - unzip and run (just about).
- Documentation - Manual, READMEs.
- dsml.org - mirror of missing DSML specs.
- Dependencies - where to get software required for the DSML Tools.
- Licensing - Dual MPL/GPL; this link elaborates.
- Links - a short selection of useful DSML-related links.
- Feedback - on the website or the software.